Monday, January 28, 2013

Pachuco Style

I spent most of the rainy day weekend editing
But during a midday break I left the house to get some fresh air
Dropped off some books at the library 
and picked up some new ones
It's like a treasure hunt for me
when finding new reading material
And this time I found a nice little gem
I was digging thru the stacks and one book, small and buried,
stuck out: 

A photography/poetry book

I flipped it open and my eyes landed on thick, black eyeliner - 
chola style
Yes! 
I brought it home


I loved the pictures in the book (photography by Jose Galvez)


Some of the pics were taken in Tucson, AZ 
at about the time I was 17 or 18 yrs old 
I can relate to a lot of the images

I don't really like poetry but with lines like:

"All the vatos - loving their menudo"

I couldn't help liking the poem in the book (Luis Alberto Urrea)


Not sure how it is that I had never heard of this
book, but I'm glad I found it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...